Monday, February 11, 2008

The Elusive Letter D



Every once in a while, I get the idea that maybe Fearless Flyer should actually learn something. So we're taking it slow with him and stretching out Little Hands to Heaven over two years. Last week, we were learning about the letter D. We talked about it, looked for it, traced it, even put it on the floor of the piano room with painters tape.


Here's the conversation: (mom = m, Fearless Flyer = FF)


M: What letter is on the floor?

FF: I don't know

M: Take a guess (keep in mind, we've been doing this for 4 days by this point)

FF: B!

M: How many humps does B have?

FF: Two...this isn't B. Can't we try again?

M: Sure, what letter is on the floor?

FF: C!

M: Does that look like C?

FF: Nope, C is missing part over here. (starts lifting up the tape to make it a C)

M: Wait FF, leave the tape there. Do you remember the alphabet? What letter comes after C?

FF: Um...

M: Let's sing it

FF: Ok, A B C...E F G

M: Hm, I think you missed a letter. Do you remember D?

FF: Yes! let's start over!


M: (Ok, this time, I know he'll get it) Ok, FF, what letter is on the floor?

FF: 2!


I think we're just going to skip D for right now. Maybe we'll have a better time remembering E. Oh and he's really good at sports so we should be just fine, right?

3 comments:

corina said...

sweet story!

Teressa said...

I feel that way with math around here some days, lol! Yes, sports...pursue that...b/c my child join but refuses to play ;-)

tess

Linda said...

Hi,
I just found your blog through the comment you left on Patti's giveaway post, I saw the name of your blog and couldn't help myself. I too am a mum of three boys almost 13, 11 and 9 years old, I love having boys girls just wouldn't work in this house. Loved your post about the letter D it made me laugh and I can so relate to the rocks and star wars.
I will be back to visit more.
Cheers Linda