Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The ice is slippery

The boys had a wonderful opportunity to go take four weeks of skating lessons this year. We talked it up and they were so excited to go. For a week ahead of time, the librarian kept asking if it was the day to go yet and was rather downhearted when he realized there was still several days.

Finally, the big day came and we bundled up to head onto the ice at which point, he gripped the side of the rink and started sobbing. Poor little guy. Being the wonderful mommy I am, I gave him a big hug and asked what was getting to him. His response was one only a 6 year old can give. "M, M, Mom, I (hiccup) I didn't think i-i-i-it would be (snort) so big. A-a-a-a-nd the ice is so slippery. (big huge sob)" We did get him to actually try to skate a bit for the lesson. As soon as it was over and it was time for freeskating though, he high tailed over to the tables to sit and wait for brothers to be done.
It got better every week, but he was so relieved when the last session was on his birthday. He even made the comment that it was a cool birthday present. Not that the lessons were a cool birthday present, but that the last one was. He never wants to go back.


Check back tomorrow for part 2 of ice skating....When Daddy skates!

No comments: