Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Our Routine? No, really, Our Routine!

Our assignment this week if our Homeschool Routine...so here goes:


Well, huh, routine, eh? It sure would be nice if every day could look a little like the one before, but somehow that just never seems to happen. I teach lessons during the day on Monday while Fearless Flyer is with Grandma and Grandpa. (hm...I need to come up with some fun names for them.) The other two stick with me. In between lessons, I work with them and during lessons, they have independent work, reading or play time.

Our Tuesday, Thursday and Friday is kind of, sort of the same. It all depends on The Man's schedule. If he's able to work from home, the kids like to finish up so they can have some play time with Dad. We are so blessed that he is such an active father with them. I don't think I could possibly handle all their activeness (is that a word?) on my own.

Wednesday, The Computer has guitar lessons near a Target and you all know what that means, right? Who can resist? So we take the morning to also run a few errands.

We do have a basic routine for the days we are home. It's not strict, but it definitely works for us.

6:00 - Mom wakes up, Bible Study (the youngins sleep)
6:30 - Mom works out (the youngins sleep)
7:30 - Everyone up and at 'em, get dressed, eat breakfast
8:00 - Breakfast over, make bed, brush teeth and some sort of morning chore
8:30 ish - School time starts and goes until about 10:30. During this time, we always start with Bible and try to finish a logic puzzle, math, reading for The Librarian, writing for The Computer, Grammar and handwriting
10:30 ish - Snack and Read Aloud, then run around and get those crazies out.
11:00 - Geography and possibly science, Latin, and anything else that we've left out
12:15 - start lunch
12:30 - eat lunch and relax
1:00 - Book Basket for the olders, rest time for the younger
2:00 - Practice piano, guitar, free time
3:30 - afternoon chores (unless I'm teaching lessons during this time)

After all that, it's just get dinner, play outside, shower/baths, bedtime story (currently reading Howl Inn - it's the book after Bunnicula), song, blessing, hugs and kisses. They are in their beds around 8:30. Occasionally they read for a bit.

Honestly though, this is truly a skeleton of our schedule. Some days we accomplish so much more and some days, not so much. I'm also sure I've forgotten something in there. Hopefully, it's nothing important.

I'm looking forward to reading what the days are like for others.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your days! We have a basic structure that rarely gets followed...if someone decides to build a volcano then everything gets set aside and we let the mess making commence.

http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2008/09/homeschool-memoirs.html

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading about your routine. :)

Kerri said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you included "run around" time in there!

Unknown said...

I wonder if 'randomness' can be a type of routine? We are routinely random...

we have a routine- more of a guidline to remind us to finally come BACK after a distraction.

nice to meet you. I have 3 boys. probably close to the age span of yours, just older. They are 11(almost 12), 13, 15 (last week)

Blessedw5mom said...

"We are so blessed that he is such an active father with them. I don't think I could possibly handle all their activeness (is that a word?) on my own. "

Yes Yes a blessing to be thankful for and Yes Yes 'activeness' is a word at least in our house it is ;-) And so glad we have that type of daddy too.

jozi said...

Don't forget "the celery stalks at midnight"...