Wednesday, August 20, 2008

HM Assignment 1



Today's assignment from Homeschool Memoirs is to write about ourselves and our decision to home school. I'm so much better about writing about our days and interesting things that go on in a family of all boys...this will be a little change. So here goes:

I'm W and I live with The Man(I think I should change his name to Mr. Incredible) in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with our 3 boys: Fearless Flyer (4, almost 5), The Librarian (6) and The Computer (8, almost 9). FF is a rather physical child and keeps us on our toes. He's one of those who will think about whether it was a good idea only after it's done. The Librarian has earned his nickname because his nose is always in a book. He kept wanting me to teach him to read and I kept putting it off. I know, bad mommy. So, he decided to teach himself. Ok, check reading off his list. The Computer has an absolutely amazing brain. He excels at math and other logic related things. He's got The Man's phenomenal memory also though so we are really careful what we tell him because he'll never forget.

And oh yeah, you can't forget our dogs, Urlacher and Sinatra and the cats, Onyx and Joe-Jo. They all make life complete in the most creative ways.

Although I was born in Minnesota, I did most of my growing up years in Alaska so that's kind of where I consider I'm from. I graduated high school just outside of Seattle though and then headed off to college, first Portland and then Chicago. (where I met The Man - he rocks, by the way) I got my degree in music education and taught various music and theater classes for 5 years. Then, The Computer was born.

A little piece of trivia - The Man and I celebrated our 11th anniversary last month by visiting one of the B & Bs we stayed at on our honeymoon. How romantic is that?

I'm honestly not really sure how we ended up homeschooling. Years ago, I was completely against homeschooling and honestly thought that homeschoolers were just plain weird. Little did I know, we would find ourselves loving that very thing. I think it kind of happened because we weren't in a decent school district and there was no way we could afford private school. So, I started researching options. Other than one year of preschool for The Computer, we've been homeschooling the rest of the time. I'd say we're a kind of eclectic mix of styles but gravitate towards a Charlotte Mason/Classical education. Another piece of trivia - I'm a curriculum research junkie. I need to find a hobby.

Other than being busy homeschooling, I teach piano and flute lessons, perform as a part of a duet (or soloist, if needed) and play/sing on the worship team at church about once a month. I love to bake, sew, cross stitch, and other crafty stuff although I seem to run out of time to finish most things. It's busy, but fun.

I'm looking forward to spending a quiet moment getting to know a bit more about everyone!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so jealous you have a musical talent!! My husband got me a nice guitar about 3 years ago for Christmas and guess who still hasn't learned how to play it? I never thought I'd front a band or anything just some "Twinkle, twinkle" and "Kumbaya" but nothing. So it sits gathering dust {{sigh}}. I would love to live in Alaska at least for awhile and all the nicest people I've ever met have been from Minnesota!

Renee said...

Nice to meet you! Wonderful post. My hubby grew up outside of Seattle and the Pacific NW is gorgeous! We hope to settle there someday.

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Andi Carter said...

Oh, you're practically a neighbor. Do you know Tana and Jim Walker? Dear, dear friends for years. Lived in Freeland and now in Coupeville. Very involved in homeschooling up there.
And yes, that's Green River. The same.
And what about this rain? I'm going nuts. August. Rain. Not good. Remember, we have 2 seasons: Rain and August. now we have one season: rainy. Grrrrr.....
And I grew up summers on Juniper Beach on Camano Island. My folks are in Mt. Vernon area, my sisters in Stanwood and Conway, and well...there you have it. I'm so delighted you stopped by.
And yes, I went for many years wishing I could do what my pastor's wife could do--sing, sing, sing. I don't sing. I write.
Each gift to enrich others.
You gifted person, you!

momofmhasr said...

Thans for stopping by. How neat to live in Alaska, now that would suit me fine. I am just learning to play piano, but better alte then never.

Dana said...

I agree with Angela! I wish I had musical talent. I always wanted to be a singer. But, God has a sense of humor where that's concerned for me. I enjoyed your post!

My link: http://cherry-soup.blogspot.com/2008/08/homeschool-memoirs-1-all-about-you.html

Anonymous said...

Fearless FLyer sounds like my little brother (3)! He's always into something, keeping us on our toes! lol

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Great to meet you! You are definitely talented and wonderful to hear how you are using that for God. :D

Have a great homeschooling year!
Sherry
http://lampuntomyfeetandalightuntomypath.blogspot.com/

MrsMomma said...

Hi! Nice to meet you. My hubby and I on our 10th anniversary went and stayed in the little cabin we stayed at on our honeymoon. It was so sweet. He planned it all himself. :) Anyway, I look forward to reading more of your posts! Hope you have a wonderful HS year!
-Heather

Unknown said...

I love your post :) Your boys sound very much like my C all rolled into one. :D Found you on the MFW Blogroll & I look forward to "visiting" you. I had a very similar philosophy regarding HS'ing prior to C. :)

Anonymous said...

It's nice to meet you and your family. I'd love to visit Alaska one day. It's actually on my Thursday Thirteen list for this upcoming week -- unless I change my mind about what to write about between now and then. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading more about you.