Last year, the boys got me this tea set. It's delightful and whimsical and The Man thinks I like it because I'm a big fan of the Winnie the Pooh. It does seem like the type of tea set that bear full of fluff-n-stuff would love. It also came with the promise of afternoon tea times. All I had I to do was to provide a goody to go with the tea. It seemed doable and for a while there, we had afternoon tea a few times a week.
Then life got busy. Boys were playing sports. And really, what kind of football player has enough time for afternoon tea? So our tea times got put to the side. But not forgotten. Every once in a while, one of the boys would ask about it.
Now we're back in our groove again and the schedule looks like it should hold steady for the next few months so tea time has been resurrected. This time, it will be Tea Time Thursday. Since we're trying to raise somewhat cultured children around, I thought it might be good to add some poetry in to our tea time. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I do know that exposure is half the battle, right? Please, tell me I'm right. I've decided to sweeten the idea of poetry with afternoon tea and something yummy. I guess you might consider it bribery in a sense, but hey, it works.
To ease us in to the poetry, we've decided to start with something easy interesting. The Librarian, received a telescope for Christmas and ever since then, the interest in the night sky has been at an all time high around here.
That led us to the discovery of this book. Star Walk by Seymour Simon. I think it's perfect for our first foray into the land of poetry. Pictures of the stars. The universe. Some poetry added in. It should definitely keep us occupied during our tea time today. I even includes poems by Whitman, Teasdale and Wordsworth so we'll have some things to discuss. It's not just light and fluffy. Not sure how much we'll get through today, but it should be fun.
And of course, we can't forget the goodies. Today's yummy is Butterscotch Bars compliments of Cooking Light Magazine.
Tea time has now morphed into tea time with goodies and some poetry. Who knows, maybe we'll even throw in some art studies sometime.

No comments:
Post a Comment