Life can't be all bad when for ten dollars
you can buy all the Beethoven sonatas
you can buy all the Beethoven sonatas
and listen to them for ten years. ~William F. Buckley, Jr.
Ah...Beethoven. He truly knew what it meant to live big, to write big. His music takes over a person's soul and transports it to a whole new world. As I work with my students on some pieces by Beethoven, they are always amazed at how much he did even though he was deaf. They sit in amazement at the piano as they ponder the fact that he wrote some absolutely amazing works though the vibrations of the music. He lived, felt, breathed music. It was his life.
If you want a great resource about Beethoven. Check out this site. Schulz's Beethoven: Schroeder's Muse. If you are a fan of Peanuts at all, you'll love it.
If you haven't listened to any Beethoven for a while. I strongly encourage it. Especially the works he wrote during the later years of his life. An amazing combination of some of the saddest, most beautiful music I've ever heard.

No comments:
Post a Comment